GM101 Online provides a basic overview of the grants management role, and the scope of the grantmaking process, in funder organizations.
This online version of the popular full-day workshop allows you to learn at your own pace and at your convenience.
Questions about GM101? Contact the Programs Department.
Prefer classroom learning? Look for the full-day GM101 workshop that's offered in conjunction with our annual conference in March in Seattle.
What You Need to Know About GM101 Online
This online course builds a basic understanding of the grants manager’s role, the grantmaking process, and the philanthropic context in which grantmaking takes place.
Grants management is often the department where program, finance, communications, application, approval, and administrative functions overlap. Grants managers perform a diverse set of tasks and maintain a wide range of professional relationships to ensure high-quality grants administration across programs.
GM101 Online is self-paced, and can be completed over multiple sessions. Estimated time commitment is 3 to 4 hours. Enrollment provides one year of access to the course and its components.
The course includes:
Narration of select content by grantmaking experts;
An extensive array of resources, including job aids and links to source information;
Learner activities; and
A certificate of completion to add to your professional development portfolio.
PEAK Grantmaking members will have access to a CONNECT community exclusive to GM101 learners, and a badge for their CONNECT profile once they've completed the course.
Who Should Attend
The course is designed for:
Professionals new to grants management
Professionals with backgrounds in accounting, technology systems, program management, and other relevant areas
Other foundation staff members who want to better understand the role of grants managers and the grantmaking process
|Organization and Consultant Members||$99||Become an Organization Member today!|
|Individual Members||$175||Become an Individual Member today!|
|Non-Members||$250||Learn more about the benefits of PEAK Grantmaking membership.|
GM101 Online features five learning modules:
- Module 1: An Overview of Grants Management
- Module 2: Nonprofit Organizations
- Module 3: The Grantmaking Process
- Module 4: View from the Field
- Module 5: Courage in Practice: Principles for Peak Grantmaking
After completing the course, learners will be able to:
- Explain the philanthropic context in which grantmaking takes place, including types of grantmakers and grantees
- Describe and apply best practices for grants management
- Articulate grantmaking’s legal and regulatory landscape
- Assess the health and financial sustainability of prospective grantees
- Employ internal administrative and tracking processes that support a grantmaking cycle
- Promote grants management as a profession
- Identify the Principles for Peak Grantmaking and gain access to tools to help you bring these strategies to action