Managing Responsive Grantmaking During the COVID-19 Crisis (Community Conversation #3)
During this third conversation about how COVID-19 is affecting grantmaking, learn about streamlining grantmaking practices around applications and reporting to narrow the power gap between grantmakers and grantseekers.
Janet Camarena, PEAK board member and director of Candid learning, shared a scan of how grantmakers are reducing grantee applicant and reporting burden with examples drawn from GlassPockets' foundations that commit to working in open and transparent ways. She also shared what Candid is hearing from its grantseeker audience about how application and request for proposal (RFPs) processes can be improved.
During a portion of the program that was not recorded, participants discussed changes they are implementing and considered ways we can elevate streamlined practices in the sector now and moving forward.
Original air date: April 30, 2020
- Communications: Listen to others and communicate effectively.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in grantmaking practices.
Lifecycle of a Grant Competencies
- Planning and Pre-Grant: Apply the grantmaker values, mission, and goals to ensure alignment of application process and guidelines.
- Planning and Pre-Grant: Design and implement the review process to support an informed grant decision.
- Award and Monitoring: Establish mutual expectations between the grantmaker and grantee to support success.
- Award and Monitoring: Monitor grantee activity to support grantee success and determine compliance with grant agreement.
Post-Grant: Review grantmaking to determine success in meeting goals and objectives.