Legal and Compliance Issues for Private Foundation Grantmakers
Are you confident in your knowledge of the laws and regulations governing grantmaking in your private foundation? Improve your understanding of those laws as we discuss strategies for complying with relevant private foundation excise tax rules and explore common self-dealing issues. Learn various approaches for structuring grants that will count toward your foundation’s annual minimum payout requirement, including exercising expenditure responsibility and using equivalency determinations to make grants to foreign organizations. We’ll also look at specific resources for investigating and verifying an applicant’s tax-exempt status, and review issues related to making grants to individuals and non-charitable organizations.
- Gain a better understanding of private foundation law
- Learn how to navigate common self-dealing issues
- Understand IRS requirements for expenditure responsibility grants
Original air date: July 31, 2018
- Ethics, Integrity, and Accountability: Act with integrity and accountability.
Lifecycle of a Grant Competencies
- Planning and Pre-Grant: Apply the grantmaker values, mission, and goals to ensure alignment of application process and guidelines.