Focus on Leadership: PEAK Grantmaking New England Regional Chapter Fall 2018 Meeting
Are you a leader in your organization? Interested in best practices and the “how” of grantmaking? How about professional development and learning basic negotiating tactics? The 2018 PEAK New England fall meeting has everything you’re looking for and more.
As a leader within your organization, you will work with people who have different perspectives, styles, and approaches. Get to know yourself as a leader – and discover how to better work with others. Perhaps you’d like to enroll in a professional development course, take the lead on a new project, or change a process to make your work more efficient — how you ask is just as important as why you are asking. Sara Sanders, PEAK Grantmaking’s regional chapter manager will be on site to give basic negotiating tactics and help you understand the right way to prepare for a conversation to help you better advocate for and position yourself as a strategic leader in your organization.
The focus on creating more equitable and effective grantmaking practices grows within the field, grants managers stand at the juncture of fostering strong relationships with nonprofit partners. Liz Bicer, PEAK Grantmaking’s education director, makes the case that the “how” of grantmaking is as important – and as strategic – as the “what” and “who” of funding. Grants management as a profession is growing to include new skills and approaches to support greater impact: data analysis, knowledge management, organizational learning, and strong relationships.
- Learn a vocabulary and a way of thinking about working with each other in our teams
- Understand and appreciate the need for a variety of work styles
- Reflect on their own individual work styles and identify areas for growth to become better leaders
- Understand the negative and positive impacts of each style taken to excess
- Learn from each other how colleague’s roles are changing inside their organizations
- Review the current attitudes and perceptions towards Grants Management professionals and practices uncovered by PEAK’s field survey
- Discuss how we can individually and collectively work to revise these perceptions to better match the critical role of grants management
- Learn and practice effective tactics to re-frame how you advocate for yourself and showcase yourself as a leader
- Prepare and practice an important conversation you’d like to have to advocate for yourself at work
Presentation date: October 25, 2018
- Staff and Volunteer Development: Build the capacity of staff and volunteers to be successful in their grantmaking role.