Courage in Practice: The Principles for Peak Grantmaking
Many in our sector are talking about big ideas such as equity and inclusion, narrowing the power gap in our sector, being authentically engaged in our communities, listening and learning from our partners, and living our values in our practice.
We can help the sector move beyond conversation to action. We believe our members have the power to bring tangible, real-life, and practical implementation to these big ideas to build a bridge between strategic vision and action. To this end, we support their professional growth through developing the competencies that will help them lead this change.
We are developing and delivering tools and resources to help grantmakers:
- Tie Practices to Values
- Narrow the Power Gap
- Drive Equity
- Learn, Share, Evolve
- Steward Responsively
Through a courageous commitment to these actions, we are working to bring big ideas to the front lines of grantmaking.
Publication date: April 2019
- Communications: Listen to others and communicate effectively.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in grantmaking practices.
- Ethics, Integrity, and Accountability: Act with integrity and accountability.
- Financial Management: Implement financial policies and controls to ensure effective and efficient deployment of financial resources for grantmaking.
- Knowledge Management: Capture and apply knowledge to promote learning and improvement.
- Process and Change Management: Plan and monitor processes efficiently and effectively and manage change as needed to contribute to grantmaker's strategic goals and grantee's success.
- Staff and Volunteer Development: Build the capacity of staff and volunteers to be successful in their grantmaking role.
- Strategic Management: Promote organizational mission and goals and inspire colleagues to achieve them.
- Technology Management: Apply technology solutions to grantmaking to support grantmaker applicant, and grantee success.